Who Can You Help?
Is there someone in your workplace whose behavior and career you’re watching? Do you interact with them in ways that make your professional interest evident? Human beings need to feel seen and cared about.
If you’ve not explicitly acknowledged your interest in the person’s growth, do so. Reach out and help by coaching, mentoring, or sponsoring.
- Offer appreciative feedback on areas where they excel.
- Propose ways they can more effectively leverage existing skills and reputation.
- Acknowledge behavior changes that indicate forward progress.
- Share a tip or technique to enhance effectiveness.
- Suggest a next developmental assignment or career move.
- Connect them with others who can serve them in some way.
Care enough to be a shaping influence in the career of those in your sights.