What Mentors Look for In Mentees
If you’re looking for a mentor, show up as a great prospect. Here are characteristics a number of senior leaders say they look for in mentees. Someone who:
- Knows their strengths and wants to learn how to fully leverage them.
- Has strong opinions, is willing to express and substantiate them, while remaining open, flexible and receptive to others’ ideas.
- Respects the existing organizational reality AND is an innovative, out-of-the-box thinker who is willing to take risks.
- Owns her decisions and is accountable for the consequences.
- Wants to learn; is teachable and coachable.
- Has goals which can serve as a focal point for the relationship.
- Willing to ask for help
- Is confident.
Demonstrate these capacities and strengths as you search for a mentor, or interact with the one you have.