PODCAST: 6 Moments When People Decide If You’re Likeable
Here are some unexpected things we do that Forbes.com says can determine whether people judge us as likeable or not.
- How you treat waiters, receptionists and support staff can provide insight into how you treat people you assume don’t have the power to do anything for you.
- How often you check your phone. If you do so a lot, you’ll be seen as someone who lacks respect, listening skills and willpower.
- Being tardy can indicate that you lack respect, that you’re a procrastinator, or maybe even lazy or disinterested.
- Repetitive, nervous habits broadcast that you’re overwhelmed, not in control, frustrated or bored.
- How long do you take to answer questions? Hogging the conversation or not asking questions can suggest you’re self-absorbed, a taker.
- A weak handshake can imply that you’re shy and introverted.
- Too much eye contact can make you appear aggressive and creepy. Too little signals that you’re not interested, shy or embarrassed.