PODCAST: Get Into and Stay In Your Flow
Do you find it difficult to sit down and work through big projects? It can be hard to get into and stay in the zone — or as Emotional Intelligence expert Daniel Goleman calls it, the Flow? Here are Productivity and Leadership Coach Ellen Faye’s five ways to get into and stay in your flow.
- Clearly define goals with an outline or plan. Specificity will keep you on task.
- Eliminate distractions. Create your ideal environment whether that means no noise, white noise, music with or without words, and headphones if necessary.
- Clear the decks. Some people can just jump right in on big projects, but others need to check off small annoying tasks so they can concentrate.
- Block off enough time. If you need two, three or four hours, schedule the necessary chunks of time so you can stay focused and not waste time repeatedly ramping up.
- Build in accountability and feedback. Someone else’s expectations of you can help you stay on track.