PODCAST: How Reading Fiction Improves Job Performance
If you enjoy reading fictional books, you’re getting more out of it than pure pleasure. According to Fast Company, it also helps you improve job performance. Here’s how.
- It enhances your reasoning skills by cultivating the ability to work beyond logic and explore how fuzzy values play out in social contexts. It helps you understand complex problems.
- You gain a broader understanding of others through a process that can be compared to that of a computer simulator.
- Reading fiction can increase empathy. When we connect to the character’s personal experiences and recall our own past social interactions, it expands our ability to relate to others.
- It relieves stress. Losing yourself in a book is reduces stress more than listening to music or taking a walk.
- Reading fiction introduces us to strong role models whose actions can be useful in addressing the work world.