Research suggests offices with open floor plans can be satisfying for extraverts who enjoy convenient access to colleagues and find the environment stimulating, while introverts tend to feel less satisfied.
Extravert or introvert, here are a several tips that may help you feel more comfortable and be more productive.
- First, know your personality and acknowledge your important preferences, particularly those that impact your effectiveness.
- If you need quiet in order to concentrate, make regular use of designated “quiet” areas or reserve a conference room.
- Work from home when you need turbo-charged productivity.
- If you to play music or talk radio, keep the volume down low or use headphones.
- Put a plant or your desk to block visual distractions, or position your chair so that you face away from the action.