Exacerbated by the proliferation of open space environments, interruptions are an ever-present, inevitable daily reality. Here are ways to give yourself privacy and uninterrupted quiet when you need it.
If you have a door, close it.
- Turn your back to the main thoroughfare to avoid eye contact with passersby.
- Don’t answer your phone, including your mobile.
- Turn off email, text and message notifications.
- Reserve a conference room or empty office.
- Utilize space on a different floor or at a different worksite.
- Work from home.
- Establish a pattern: set aside a specific time and during which you wont’ be available. Tell those who need to know.
- If you are interrupted, say, “I’ll be back by…, so unless this is a major emergency, let’s talk then.”
Like it? Share it!