While personal styles among those who occupy the C-suite can vary dramatically, from the reserved and analytical to the warm, outgoing people person, exceptional leaders – those who get results in the short run and long-term – all share a special set of common characteristics. And, it’s not technical competence, nor the gift of exceptional intellect.
Daniel Goleman says, “…the most effective leaders are alike in one crucial way: They all have a high degree of emotional intelligence.” EQ – emotional intelligence – makes it more likely that you’re C-suite ready and will thrive once there.
To get a quick read on your current level of EQ, for each component below, answer the following questions. Rate yourself – 1 if you’re at the lower end of the continuum and up to a 5 at the highest end.
These questions are designed simply to make you think and help you self-assess.
- Are you self-aware? To what degree do you recognize and understand your moods, emotions, drives and impact on others?
- Do you self-regulate? To what degree are you able to control your impulses? Do you to think before acting?
- Do you motivate? To what degree are you energetic, passionate, persistent, and work to achieve goals for their own sake, not simply for money, acclaim or status?
- Are you empathetic? To what degree do you understand and take into account the emotional makeup and reality of others?
- Are you socially skillful? To what degree are you able to build rapport, find common ground, maintain relationships, and influence others to move in a particular direction?
Add up your scores and divide by 5 to find out where you are on the Emotional Intelligence continuum.
No matter where you are, you can strengthen your competency in any or all of the EQ components identified by Goleman if you commit to doing so.
Set clear goals with relevant actions steps. Practice the behaviors that will produce the change you want. Along the way, get other’s perspective on how you’re doing.
With dedication and persistence, you can strengthen your EQ, be C-suite ready and flourish once there.