To communicate effectively, we must be mindful about how our messages are sent and received. To that end, Mindtools.com breaks communication down into five component parts that are universally at play whenever we speak to another person.
- It all begins with the Source – which is you, coupled with the message you wish to convey.
- Encoding is about how you shape your message. A tip: avoid acronyms, slang or lofty words.
- The Channel is how the message is sent. Are you communicating face-to-face, on the phone, emailing, texting, posting, via social media, etc.?
- Craft your message with the Receiver in mind – your audience.
- The recipient of your message Decodes or makes meaning of it through his or her own ideas and perceptions – his or her filters.
Finally, the cycle begins anew when the recipient responds to you. Take all five of these steps into consideration to enhance your communication.Click here for the full Mindtools.com article.