Are you preparing for an interview and salary negotiation? Here are ten things Forbes.com says NOT to say if you want the job at the salary you desire.
- I have a lot of other companies trying to recruit me.
- If you hire me, I’ll be an amazing employee.
- I’ll make you glad you hired me — I’ll work weekends or do whatever you want me to do.
- I have a lot of expenses.
- I work harder than most people.
- I was earning more money than this years ago.
- I was the top of my class in school.
- I’m worth more than the amount you offered me.
- I’m insulted by your offer.
- If you can’t improve the offer, you won’t get me. Then what will you do?
What do they recommend? Try saying something like, “I’d like to take the job, but we’re a ways apart on salary. I need $X in order to accept. Is this a good time to talk about how we can bridge that gap?”