They Remember How You Make Them Feel
Maya Angelou said, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” This is profound wisdom for leaders who want high performing teams that produce excellent results, in a healthy climate.
Here are a few ideas to put into practice that can help the people you lead feel good about themselves in your presence.
- Involve people in setting performance goals and solving important business problems.
- Praise and reward behavior that advances business goals and aligns with company values.
- Provide meaningful challenges that inspire excellence, and developmental opportunities that promote growth.
- Share information about upcoming changes and the direction of the company.
- As appropriate, judiciously take people into your confidence. It can build trust and strengthen the relationship.