Finding it hard to get the boss to notice and acknowledge your accomplishments?
A recent Harvard Business Review article offers suggestions for earning the boss’ respect.
- Clarify your responsibilities. Ask what you need to learn and how you can learn it quickly. Then, diligently, get up to speed.
- Adapt your communication style. Find out how she’d like you to communicate with her and adjust your style to match hers.
- Build trust by observing and empathizing. Understand his priorities and what matters to him.
- Build relationships with others, across levels. Show that you fit well into the team. Your boss is observing you, and taking in feedback from others.
- When conflict occurs between you and your manager, disagree politely and in private. Ask for feedback to find out where you stand.
- Finally, reflect. Look beneath the surface of any information you receive that doesn’t feel so good. There may be something there to learn or something you can change about your behavior.
Click here for the complete article.