PODCAST: Surefire Ways To Earn The Boss’ Respect
Finding it hard to get the boss to notice and acknowledge your accomplishments?
A recent Harvard Business Review article offers suggestions for earning the boss’ respect.
- Clarify your responsibilities. Ask what you need to learn and how you can learn it quickly. Then, diligently, get up to speed.
- Adapt your communication style. Find out how she’d like you to communicate with her and adjust your style to match hers.
- Build trust by observing and empathizing. Understand his priorities and what matters to him.
- Build relationships with others, across levels. Show that you fit well into the team. Your boss is observing you, and taking in feedback from others.
- When conflict occurs between you and your manager, disagree politely and in private. Ask for feedback to find out where you stand.
- Finally, reflect. Look beneath the surface of any information you receive that doesn’t feel so good. There may be something there to learn or something you can change about your behavior.