If You’ve Been Unemployed
If you’re among the more than 9.7 million unemployed, and you’ve experienced gaps between jobs, here are five strategies you can put to use to remain active in your search and show prospective employers you have the ability to use your time and talent constructively.
- Network even more. Don’t hide behind your computer sending out resumes. Get out there, meet people, ask for referrals.
- Start a small business that provides a needed service. You’ll gain valuable skills to add to your resume, and earn a little money.
- Go back to school. Enroll in an area of study that’s relevant to where the economy is growing.
- Work for a family member who operates a small business, or needs child or elder care.
- Become a committed volunteer for a not-for-profit organization. Treat it like a job. Add your area or responsibility to your resume.