Behavior of High Trust Leaders
Here is a checklist of 13 behaviors, developed by Stephen Covey, you can learn and apply that will help you generate greater trust and create better results.
- Talk straight. Tell the truth. Let people know where you stand.
- Demonstrate concern. Show you care. Treat others respectfully.
- Create transparency. Be open and authentic, no hidden agendas.
- Right wrongs. Don’t cover things up. Apologize quickly.
- Show loyalty. Give others credit. Speak about people as if they were present.
- Deliver results. Don’t make excuses. Be on time and on budget.
- Get better. Continuously improve. Thank people for feedback.
- Confront reality. Be courageous. Discuss the undiscussables.
- Clarify expectations. Don’t assume they are clear or shared.
- Practice Accountability. Hold yourself and others accountable.
- Listen first. Listen with your ears, eyes and heart.
- Keep commitments. At all costs, do what you say you’re going to do.
Extend trust. Do so appropriate to the relationship, situation, risk and credibility of those involved.