Leaders today face significant uncertainty. Change and complexity are a steady presence.
In a Harvard Business Review article titled, “6 Strategies for Leading Through Uncertainty,” the authors suggest the following strategies to accelerate learning and navigate increasing complexity.
- Acknowledge feelings of discomfort about not having the answers. Embrace the unknown with a learner’s mindset.
- Distinguish between the technically complicated and complexity borne out of interdependencies and dilemmas.
- Let go of perfectionism. Instead, shoot for measurable progress.
- With complex challenges, slow down, take a disciplined approach. Resist oversimplification and quick conclusions.
- Reach out to your network for fresh perspectives and insights.
- Pull back. Look at the issue from a more systemic vantage point.