In her book, The Essentials of Business Etiquette, Barbara Pachter provides readers with many valuable tools for success, including tips that will help you manage your smartphone use with intelligence. Pachter says:
- Speak your first and last name when answering your your phone.
- Make sure the volume of your speaking voice is appropriate for the setting.
- When in a meeting, with one person or many, give the people you’re with your full attention. Don’t answer your phone.
- Turn off the beeps and buzzes and vibrations when in meetings so your phone doesn’t disrupt others.
- As a courtesy, let others know when you have them on speaker. Also tell them who else is listening.
- Monitor the length of your voicemail messages. Make them succinct and clear. Speak numbers slowly.
For more, read The Essentials of Business Etiquette, byBarbara Pachter.