Harvard Business Review contributor Michael Watkins says your first steps after starting a new job can determine if you’ll succeed or constantly face uphill battles. To provide focus and intent, he says to ask yourself these five questions.
- How will I create value? Find out what each stakeholder you’re tied to expects you to accomplish and when, and how your progress will be measured. Know that opinions among stakeholders may vary.
- How am I expected to behave? Organizational cultures have rules – formal and informal – that guard against undesired behavior. Get to know them.
- What support is critical? This will help you navigate key alliances and understand political undertones.
- How will I get some early wins? Early successes create positive momentum.
- What skills do I need to develop to excel? What you know got you here. Now, it’s important to know what skills will help you thrive in your new role.
Like it? Share it!