You’re a control freak and you know it. But you can’t find your way clear of this stressful, energy-stealing frame of mind. Oprah.com contributor Martha Beck offers 5 tips to help you get comfortable with letting go.
- Relax your need to relax. If you’re trying to relax, you’re not actually relaxing. Give yourself permission to be as tense as you are.
- Relax your attention. Teachers, parents and bosses have conditioned us to focus hard on singular things, but widening attention and focus can actually relax us.
- Relax into whatever’s happening. Stop struggling against reality.
- Relax the standards you can never meet. This also applies to the standards you’ve set for everyone around you. Trust that you and others are good enough as you are.
- Relax your resistance to uncertainty. There are no guarantees no matter what we do to bring about certain outcomes. By accepting uncertainty, you’ll open up a new world of possibilities.