As was true with the advent of the printing press and the postal service, email will likely go down in history as a dramatic invention that changed the way humans connect. But, over-reliance on email has its drawbacks. It is not a one-size-fits-all communication tool. Here are some signals that it’s time to step back from email and pick up the phone.
- When the string of back and forth emails is growing, but you’re getting no closer to a resolution.
- When someone in the email thread has gotten upset and begins lashing out or is overly apologetic.
- When you have sent several requests, need an answer, but have not gotten a response.
- When the list of things you need to discuss is more than two items.
- When a complicated explanation or pre-amble is required.
- If the email you’re writing is more than three paragraphs, and you still have more to say.
One day, email and text may replace all face-to-face or voice-to-voice communication. But that day has not arrived just yet…thankfully.